Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Chicken Liver Masala


chicken liver is a very good source of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, iron, phosphorus, copper and selenium and a good source of thiamin, zinc and manganese.

Chicken liver does not appeal to everyone. But if you do like it, You will surely love this dish.This curry goes well with rice and rotis.

Ingredients:
Chicken livers- 1 box
onion- 1(medium,sliced)
ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
green chillies- 2 (slit)
tomatoes- 1 (medium,chopped)
corriander poeder- 1 1/4 tsp
cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
pepper powder- 1 tsp
curry masala powder- 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
curry leaves- few
lemon juice- 1 tbsp

Procedure:
Open the box of livers and discard all the blood in it.Cut chicken livers into bite size pieces(vary size according to preference). Take care not to leave the blue or green vein with the liver. Some livers may not have the correct shape, it might be slimy. Don't worry those can be cooked too. It helps in getting the masala.

Heat oil in kadai and fry onions until golden brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Now add chillies,curry leaves and turmeric powder. Next add tomatoes and all the masala powders. Cook till the raw smell goes and oil starts to seperate. Now add washed chicken livers. Add required salt and mix well. Close and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Open lid and stir again. Cook for a few more minutes. You can tell that the liver is done if it is no longer pink in color on the inside.Careful, don't overcook liver as it tends to get hard and little bitter. Finally add lemon juice. Blend well and switch off gas. Serve with any dish of your choice. Today I had with parotta. It tasted good too.

14 comments:

FH said...

Mouthwatering dish Kribha.Although we don't cook with livers,I could use the yummy sauce with chicken breasts:)

Kribha said...

Yes Asha, I know many people don't like this. But that's ok. As you said, you can surely make it with chicken.

Richa said...

hey kribha, as you know I do not eat meat, but i always check out the dishes for using the gravy.
btw do you use home made curry masala pwd?
thanks

Kribha said...

I'm sorry Richa. Will post something for you soon. And Yes...I do use homemade curry powder that my MIL sends from India.

Suganya said...

Hi Kribha,
Ur Chicken liver masala looks mouth watering........ And the procedure is easy too.... I want to try it out once.........

Kribha said...

Hi Sukanya,
If you have tasted liver before and liked it, I'm sure you will like this. It is more of a pepper based curry. Try it. you won't be disappointed.

Sumitha said...

My mum makes a liver fy dish which I love,you are right liver is nutritionally very very good!Kribha thank you for the Vishu wishes dear,wishing you a happy,healthy and prosperous new year too:)

Kribha said...

Dear Sumi,
Would you post your mom's recipe sometime. I love to authentic and experienced recipes.

Pravs said...

I have posted on goat liver and i think chicken liver will be equally good.Good recipe.

Surya Hith said...

simple and easy recipe kribha,Although I am not a fan of liver,My hubby will like this surely. Thanks.

Kribha said...

Thank you Pravs. Will check your blog for the goat liver recipe.

Kribha said...

Hi Surya,
hope your hubby likes this. Try it and let me know.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Kribha,
This is my first visit to ur blog and u have a good collection o recipes. I love kothu parotta. But as I dont cook NV here, will it turn out good without using eggs?
would love to visit u often.

Kribha said...

Dear Prema,
Hearty welcome to my blog and Thank You so much for your kind words. Please come back for more.