Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brinjal Potato Subzi

This is another simple dish that goes well with idllis and dosas. The dish may not be photogenic but I can assure you for the taste. My MIL usually fire roasts the eggplant until it is 3/4th done and then chop it into pieces and then use it in the gravy. The gravy prepared this way has a smoky flavor in it. But my mom on the otherhand does not roast them. She steams both the brinjal and potato together and mashes it.

So, my version is to cube both the brinjal and potato into small pieces, Cook it really well and finally mash it with a potato masher. Easy... huh? It does not taste exactly the same as the fire roasted version or the steamed version. All I can say is it tastes good. Hope you give it a try too. Here's what you need...


Ingredients:

Eggplant- 1 (I'm talking about the big purple ones not the tiny ones) potato- 2 (medium size, cubed) mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
urad dal- 1/2 tsp channa dal- 1/2 tsp
cumin- 1/2 tsp
onion- 1 (finely chopped)
tomato- 1 (finely chopped)
green chillies- 3 (chopped)
tamarind- 1/2 tsp
chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
turmeric- 1/2 tsp
water- 1 1/2 cups
curry leaves- few
corriander leaves- few
hing - a pinch

Procedure:

Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and cumin. Then add onions, green chillies and turmeric powder. After 5 minutes add the potato and brinjal cubes. Saute in medium flame until 3/4th done. Now add the hing, chilli powder, salt and tamarind. Mix well. Then add 1 cup water and boil until the vegetables are completely cooked. Then open the lid of the pan and mash the vegetables just leaving a few chunks here and there. You can skip this step if you want. Add more water if the gravy is too thick. Finally add corriander and curry leaves. Serve it hot with dosas or idllies.

3 comments:

Kalai said...

We do a chutney with fire roasted eggplant which I loooove. This sounds great, too! Should try this next time I make idli/dosa. :)

Laavanya said...

The fire-roasting never works for me... That sounds like a great combination and must be great with chapathis too! Bookmarked to try. I feel like trying all your recipes infact!

Kribha said...

Hi Kalai,
The fire-roasted version tastes the best. But it's hard to roast the big egg-plant that I get here. So I have adopted the simplest way.

Hi Laavanya,
Thankyou so much dear. Fire-roasting dosen't work for me either. But don't worry. This verion tastes closer to that. Good Luck!