Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm Back with peerkangai kootu

Hi Friends,

Hope all of you are doing very well. Things have been going fine at my end too. Sorry for my uninformed disappearance in blogsphere. I had been allorting my leisure hours for gym and cleaning. Guess what.... I have lost 30 pounds so far. But I still have 20 more to go. I feel good now. But the bad thing is I have still not overcome my love for chocolates. It makes me cheat on my diet often. If not for this I would have lost more. Anyway, I'm a lot better now. Atleast I have developed a conscious to warn me every now and then.

The other things that had kept me busy was planning the birthday party for my son and doing some extra cleaning around the house as I'm expecting my in-laws from India next week. Anyway, I hope to resume blogging regularly from this post onwards. I'm sorry that I have not been able to reply to your comments . But I wanted to let you know that I truly appreciate each and everyone of your words. Thanks guys.

Meanwhile I did one more thing. I created another blog "ensamayalpakkam.blogspot.com" and copied all the contents there. I did it as I wanted another template. I tried changing the existing one but the alignment was going crazy that I decided to go to a new address. When I was almost done I realized that I would lose my site statistics if I give-up my old one , so I decided to stay with this itself. Anyway if anybody have some suggestions for my problem I'd really appreciate it.

Coming to the food part... I'll start with Peerkangai Kootu. Usually I use channa dal for kootu but this time I did it like my MIL . I mean I used boiled moongdal. This kootu is great as a side-dish for chappathi or it tastes great with rice. Try this simple dish sometime, you will surely love it.

Peerkangai Kootu:

Ingredients:
Ridgegourd/Peerkangai - 1
onion- 1/2 (chopped fine)
tomato- 1 big
green chillies- 4 or 5
boiled moong dal - 1 cup
coconut- 1/4 to 1/2 cup
jeera seeds - 1 and 1/2 tsp
salt - as reqd

Procedure:
Wash and cook moong dal with enough water and turmeric. You can either steam cook it or boil it. Next grind coconut and jeera with some water to a fine paste. Meanwhile scrap out the skin off the ridgegourd. You can either discard it or use it to make a thuvayal. Cut the gourd into small pieces and boil it with very little water with some turmeric and salt. The gourd cooks very fast so don't boil for long and make it mushy.

Next heat oil in the kadai and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Then add onions and chillies and saute for 5 mins. After that add tomatoes and cook till it's pulpy. Now add the cooked vegatable and dal. Add salt and mix well. Finally add the ground coconut and bring it to a boil. Serve it with rice or roti. It tastes just great.

22 comments:

indosungod said...

Hey Kribha glad to see you back.
I too make kootu with Moong dal, yes with peerkangai is a delicious combo.

Tried playing with the layout once lmost messed up the whole thing.

Sia said...

kribha, its so gd to see u resume blogging and congrats on losing 30lbs:) good going girl:)
i am happy to know u wont do another disappering act from now;) and abt blog template u can copy and post the template from new blog to this old blog. but make sure to take a back up of old template so that u can copy it bk just in case if new ones dont work. there r many online tutorials as how u can do it if u r not too confident abt it. all the very best:)

Finla said...

You lost 30 pounds. CONGRAGULATIONS.
I am sure you are felling good.
I wouls say great :-)
Not to mention now you have the pleasure to shop for new clothes.
I too cheat on chocolates and cookies.
Love the dish and the colour.

jacky said...

Hi Kriba.. thanks for the great comment in my blog.This is jai here from yennodablogs, ur peerkangai koottu looks bright and delicious.How on earth did u lose 30 pounds? can u share the secret with me??,even iam trying to.Am not fat but a little overweight, after two kids!! I hope to keep in touch with my new friend Kriba.Have a good day! Bye.

Pravs said...

Wow ! you lost 30 pounds !! was it only excersie? I am inspired to excersie reading this :) cheers to that :) Good to have you back.
Nice curry with ridge gourd and moong dal.

Pravs said...

Hey kribha, would like to be a part of the Arusuvai, friendship chain ? Please let me know soon. Thanks :D

DK said...

DID U SAY 30 POUNDS??????????????????????????????? I HAVE MY MOUTH GAPING OPEN! THATS COOOOOOOL

The kootu luks yummy! I make them almost the same way

Richa said...

hey sweetie, nice to see u back in action :) kootu looks yummy!
btw, u lost 30 pounds in how many weeks? hope u don't do it drastically, take it slow!

Kalai said...

Congrats on the weight loss, Kribha!! It's so good to see you back again!. I also make peerkangai kootu similar to this. Looks awesome! :)

TBC said...

Wow! You lost 30 pounds! You lucky thing! Not lucky...I'm sure u worked really hard for it. Just curious, Kribha- how long did it take you? I've been trying forever to knock off a couple of pounds but it is an uphill task.:-(

Dori said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! The food looks great :)

Pravs said...

I have emailed you. Please check your yahoo id.Got email id from blogger details. Thanks :D

Mrs.Kannan said...

Hi Kriba,
This is the first time i am visiting your blog,and for the past 2 hours i have been browsing in your blog,seeing all the recipes,and i am very much impressed keep going.......you rocks.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi kribha,
how r u?how is kavin?.Hmmmm great ..u have lost 30 lb me too sailing in the same boat have to lose weight .Peerkangai kootu looks great....

Rajitha said...

kribha....you go girl!! 30 pounds is awesome :)

Cynthia said...

It is indeed a pleasure to see you again and 30 pounds lighter! Yay! congratulations!

Suganya said...

Hi Kribha....
Welcome back girl.... U lost 30 pounds.... Thats great.....Kootu looks YUM!....

Kumudha said...

Kootu looks delicious! You have some great recipes here.

Kribha said...

Hi ISG, Sia, HC, Jacky, Pravs, DK, Richa, Kalai, TBC, meeso, Mrs. Kannan, Priar, rajitha, Cynthia, Sukanya and Kumudha,

Thankyou all for your sweet comments and encouragement. I was so thrilled to see so many friends being happy for me.

Due to the time constraint I'm unable to respond to each one of you. But I know you all will understand. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hi.... this is first time here... Your dishes look yummy and mouth watering. would like to keep in touch. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on losing those 30 pounds! That is great and heck, a bit of chocolate here and there can be good for you, too. :)

I'm just learning about Indian cooking...love learning about different cultures and how they cook, and this dish looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Laavanya said...

Congrats on losing 30 pounds Kribha.. I just saw your pics (in Kavin's bday) - thanks for sharing.. are you sure you have to lose 20 more? You look good. You truly are an inspiration...
The peerkangai kootu looks yummy. I hardly cook with peerkangai.. must do it.