Thursday, April 12, 2007

Beans Parrupu Usili


Hi Guys, It's been a while since my last posting. Things are going hectic with my hubby's new job, planning for my son's b'day party, looking for a daycare,spring cleaning.... Phew! I'm sorry that I've been missing all your recent posts. will get back to routine soon.
Here is another simple curry to go with any rice dish and especially with sambar. I do not know the authenticity of this dish. I read in some cookbook that it is more popular in Andhra. But this dish has always been a regular in my household. It is mostly done with kothavarangai ,okra or beans(if anybody else knows to do with a different vegetable, please let me know).

When I was young, my sister and me would want to eat only the dal and not the vegatable, so my mom used to fry the dal alone and mix it with white rice and ghee. This curry tastes great with plain curd or curd rice. My hubby who had never eaten this before marriage became a great fan of this dish later. Try it, I'm sure you will love it.

Ingredients:

Beans- 1 cup(chopped)

onion- 1/2 (medium,chopped)

red chillies- 2

curry leaves-few

channa dal- 1/4 cup

Procedure:

Soak channa dal & red chilli(1) for 1 hr and grind it coarsley with salt.Boil beans with very little water & salt until half done. Heat oil in kadai and fry mustard seeds urad dal, red chilli. Then add channa dal and fry until raw smell goes. Now add beans and a pinch of turmeric. cook till done. Finally add curry leaves.

5 comments:

Richa said...

hey kribha, nice healthy recipe. I learnt a similar recipe from a colleague of mine who is from Hyd.
I remember she once made it with carrot as well, you can try it if you don't mind the sweetish tinge.
thanks

Kribha said...

Never knew carrot would go with channa dal. Thanks for letting me know.

FH said...

HI Kribha,always take your time to attend your family's needs first and then blog!That's how it should it should be right!:))

We make this in Kranataka as well.I have in my blog with dill and beans with Tuar dal.We cook all these these first,strain to to get dal,beans and dill and season it.With leftover dal water,we make Thili saaru which is Rasam.Ii's also called Bassaru.

Look under dill beans stir fry in recipe index to go there.

Looks great and nutritious too.Thanks K!:)

Kribha said...

Thanks a bunch Asha for sharing your version. will check it in your blog too.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We make the same with pudalangai(snake guard) and beetroot.