Friday, April 6, 2007

Okra Potato Curry

Hey Guys! I'm posting this after reading the comments of my fellow bloggers for the okra recipe. I'm really sorry, I never knew this is such a common curry. I also laugh at myself for thinking that I came up with something new. Thanks Guys for enlightening me on this.

Ingredients:
Okra- 20
potato- 1
onion- 1/2(medium,sliced)
tomato- 1/2 (medium,chopped)
salt
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
sambar powder- 1 tsp
cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
curry leaves

Procedure:
Heat oil in kadai and fry mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Then fry onions and okra with some turmeric. Fry until half done. Add potatoes and fry for another 5mins. Add salt and tomatoes. Close and cook for sometime. Add the curry powders and blend well. Keep sauteing now and then, taking care that the curry dosen't stick to pan. Cook till done. finally and curry leaves. Can be served with plain rice,sambar or rotis.

Tip: I usually cut my okra and spread it on a white paper and rest it for 2 to 3 hrs. This helps to reduce the slimyness of the okra. In India , my mom used to spread it on a newspaper overnight. But I'm not sure if the ink on the paper is ok to come in touch with food. So, a plain paper or a brown paper bag does the trick.Try it. You will surely be suprised.


11 comments:

FH said...

Kribha,I love how it looks and so simple.Sambhar powder greatly differs from house to house,could you post your Smabhar pd as well sometime.Thanks:)

Kribha said...

Sure Asha. I'll post the recipe for sambar powder soon. I also wanted to mention, I always get my sambar powder from my mother-in-law. She wouldn't give her recipe very easily. Everytime I ask her she would miss some ingredient.Still, I will definetly get the recipe soon.

Richa said...

hey kribha,
making a subzi out of potato & bhindi is very popular at my home and everyone enjoys it a lot. In fact as far as I know this combination is prepared in many cultures, so it is definitely not wierd. thanks for your recipe, I use garam masala instead of sambar pwd & add garlic as well.

Kribha said...

Hi Richa,
In my family nobody has done this before. I guess that's why everyone thought that I came up with something new. Happy to know that it is a common dish in many cultures. At the same time ,a little bit sad, b'coz I'm not that smart after all.Ha ha ha.

TNL said...

HI Kribha,

First time here.....This is a classic Gujju combination of Okra and potatoes, but without any garam masala and onions, and one of my most loved sabzis..thanks for posting your version, seems very different than the rest, thanks.

Trupti

Kribha said...

Hi Trupti,
Welcome to my blog. Wow! I did not know that this is such a common curry. I did this for once for one of my Gujju friends.But she never mentioned that it was so popular in her place. I guess she was trying to be nice to me.Anyway, Thank You so much for your comment.

Sia said...

kribha...thats one simple yet yummy recipe. i make it quite often as it requires very less time:)

Kribha said...

Yes Sia, it is indeed very easy curry. Before posting this I never knew so many people do this often.

Sia said...

ha ha ha...kribha, simple recipes r loved by everyone:) i always look out for simple recipes during weekdays:)

Seema Bhat said...

Khirba,
This is my first time to your blog and I must say its a beautiful compilation of interesting recipes. Love okra and alu with okra is a super combo isn't it?

Kribha said...

Welcome here Seema. Thanks for your nice comment. Yes indeed, aloo and okra is a good combination. When I first posted this curry, I thought that I found a new recipe. Many of our fellow bloggers told me that it is a regular item in their household. I wonder why the elders in my family never prepared this.